No, really, this IS my life....

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Parent Teacher Conference

I had the conference with Ian's teacher Friday morning, and I am still confused. To recap quickly, if you didn't read the post below, I had to meet with the teacher to discuss Ian's 'anger issues'. I drop the kids off at my mother's house at the ungodly hour of 7:15 (remember, we carpool, so I don't take the kids to school, which means I don't have to get ready first thing in the morning. I know, poor me!) I arrive at the school, and while we are waiting for the PE teacher, his classroom teacher and myself start on her portion of the meeting. The run down? I heard about what a wonderful kid he is, and how smart he is, and that his biggest problem is trying to be funny at the wrong times. Anger? Oh no, he controls himself very well, and in fact is able to walk away from the other kid when they have issues. The kicker on the anger part? I find out that not only is Ian not the angry child, he's actually being bullied to the point where other teachers have been told to keep an eye out for it! And yet, I was told we needed the meeting for his anger. I mentioned this, and she said, well, yes, he was very angry last week when I told him that there would be a phone call home. Uh, yeah, because he knew he was in trouble?!?!? I told her that he was working towards a pair of Heely's, and it all depended on his school behavior. He knew that a phone call home was a HUGE nono, and that he had pretty much lost the Heely's. Yeah, he was mad and went and pouted at his desk. I would have, too! But he didn't yell or scream or hit or kick. He crossed his arms, said grrr, and walked over to his seat and sat and pouted. Ummm, I thought that would be kinda normal for a 6 year old.
Now, I do understand that he has some issues that need to be worked on, and we are working on them. He's gotten better at his schoolwork to the point where he's completing it all at school, instead of bringing it home on top of homework. He's also, since school started, had all 'green' days, with the exception of a few yellow for talking, and then the 'orange' day when she sent the note home last week. He's trying, and I know that it will take more than a couple of weeks for everything to become routine. I also don't want to throw too many improvements at him at once. He's got 2 or 3 things he's working on now, and when he accomplishes one of his goals, then I will give him a new one.
Enter PE teacher. She was great. She said that Ian's biggest problems were talking when he shouldn't be, and not listening too well. So she explained to me that she talked with Ian, and he knew that those were the reasons he got into trouble. The made a deal that Ian would work on one of those issues, like listening better, at a time. She knows that his changes won't happen over night, but as long as Ian is working on it, she is happy with that. Bad habits can take awhile to break, and that's basically what he has to do.
But, still, I am unsure what prompted this meeting, especially first thing Friday morning (I know, I'm a weenie!) when he doesn't have the issues she originally called the meeting for!

7 Comments:

  • What a bizarre state of affairs? I'd park all the issues and just concentrate on making sure that he's not bullied. After all he's only 6 and that's still very young. I amazed he has homework at that age, at six he should be learning through play much of the time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:58 AM  

  • He has homework daily, and then 15 minutes (minimum) of reading. I'm ok with that, as long as the homework makes sense and isn't given just so that he does have homework!

    By Blogger Azgreeneyes, At 11:43 AM  

  • Sounds like a couple of teachers are clearly out to lunch.

    Unbelievable. Does the principal know that such morons are employed by the school?

    By Blogger carmilevy, At 4:54 PM  

  • Hello, Michele sent me...

    Granted, I have no kids, but it seems very strange to me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:41 PM  

  • I have two step daughters and no children of my own. The steps are fairly new, and I have already experienced the poor communication with teachers.

    At least the PE teacher sounds like she has a good grasp of how to deal with things.

    As for the pouting and growling--I agree--when what he likely wanted to do was kick, scream, and cry--sitting at his desk pouting seems like a great coping skill when you are 6!

    Here randomly from Michele's.

    By Blogger Margaret, At 8:48 AM  

  • School has changed quite a bit since I was his age, Karen. We definitely didn't have homework then nor much in the way of schoolwork either. We definitely had bullies though. I'm sure they've been around forever.

    Michele sent me over.

    By Blogger utenzi, At 9:13 AM  

  • that's so bizarre why say he has anger issues just cause he was mad once about a phone call home ugh

    By Blogger Unknown, At 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home