No, really, this IS my life....

Friday, January 12, 2007

Kids should come with an instruction manual!

*****Caution: Mommy rant ahead!*****

Picked up Ian from school today, and after that, all hell broke loose. Although, I guess I should backtrack so that I don't seem like a total moron or shrew.

Ian has always been a good student. Kindergarten, he did awesome. He was able to test into the first grade math program halfway through the semester, he was (fairly) well behaved, he was polite, he did his homework happily, and just in general, he was a happy kid. Same for this year, up until mid to the end of October.

All of a sudden he went from having green days with smiley faces sent home on his homework list to yellow or orange days with frowny faces, and notes that he wouldn't listen, or he (accidentally, according to him) bonked a kid with his water bottle. He stopped getting all his work done in class and was having to bring it home to finish along with his homework. And, man o' man, was it a fight to get him to do any of it!! I had to stand right next to him in order to get him to do any of his work, instead of sitting him at the island and cleaning the kitchen while he worked and, once in awhile, asked for help. Homework time and chore time became a time for yelling (from both of us) and crying (mainly him) and a whole lot of chasing him back to what he should be doing. He started being meaner to his sister, although not so much anymore, because she dishes out whatever she receives! I was at a loss.

Part (most) of me thought that it was because I had become so stressed out that he wasn't getting enough positives in his day and was reacting accordingly, so over winter break, I made an extra effort to make sure that we did fun things together; reading, drawing, play doh, cooking, even just talking. He was a happier kid, and I was a happier mommy.

Then, it was back to school on the 3rd of January. Short week, only 3 days, but he did awesome, finishing all his school work at school, green smiley faces all week, and minimal arguing about homework! First day this week was yellow, but he admitted that he didn't listen as well as he should have and then he said sorry. An unsolicited apology! And the next two days? Green smiley faces, finished work, and only arguing between him and his sister. I can deal with that a little, I know that it'll happen at times.

Then on Thursday, he actually had to be sent out of the classroom to do his work, and so that he would quit bothering the other kids. Today, he hit orange, with a phone call home from the PE teacher, and a request for a conference from his classroom teacher. He refused to listen, tripped another student, threw a hissy fit when he got into trouble, had to sit out from PE twice, and in general was an angry, uncooperative child all day. What the hell?? We were having good times at home still, we made cookies together last night, with him doing all the fun stuff, he did his homework by himself with NO arguing, we were laughing all week. I don't know what went wrong.

So now I get to look forward to a conference with two of his teachers, and all I can say is, I know he's having problems, but I don't know why. Someone forgot to give me the instruction manual for his model! (At least I still have a sense of humor. That might not be the case next week!)

Has anyone else had problems like this? Did you get them resolved? HOW????

8 Comments:

  • Well, we've surely had our share of problems with three kids, but not this particular problem. Tough when kids seem to suddenly change. I surely wish you luck in meeting with the school. Even though I'm a teacher, I can admit that teachers have an agenda. And it isn't always about your kid's best interest. So stick up for your kid when your gut tells you he needs it!

    By Blogger Em, At 7:23 PM  

  • Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog and falling prey to my comment trolling...

    Sounds like ugly skies with the kiddo... Hopefully you will get more info at the conference. Good luck to you!

    By Blogger Unknown, At 8:43 PM  

  • Michele sent me by to say hi Karen.

    On my browser your blog is doing a white on white thing. I guess your background isn't loading. So the print only shows up when highlighted.

    I don't have kids so I can only relate via my nephews. I don't remember any on and off behavior problems like that. It sounds like a stage situation but I have no idea of what you can do to help him get through it, Karen. It sounds like you're doing all the right things already.

    By Blogger utenzi, At 3:18 PM  

  • Hmmm. Have you tried tar & feathers?? Since my kids are only 1 and 3, we haven't had to deal with this yet. But thanks for the preview. I guess ADD is the popular diagnosis these days, right?

    I have a plan. I'm building a time machine so I can go back in time and stay single and kid free. Granted I might be a bit pathetic, but talk about a stress free life.

    I'll let you know if I get it to work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:27 PM  

  • Hi Karen. I so feel your pain: we've had similar phases with our kids, and there's good and bad news associated with this.

    First the bad: there is no one pat answer.

    Now, the good: you're surrounded by lots of caring and giving people who have been there and want to help.

    In our case, we have tied academic performance to rewards at home. Do well in school - including the behavioral thing - and good things will come your way. Get kicked out of class and you'll sit idly by while your sibs get all the glory.

    It sounds overly simplistic, but when one kid gets a new book from the bookstore because she studied all by herself and aced a test, the peer pressure on the sibling who didn't is tremendous.

    That and a whole lot of patience fro mom and dad. Give yourselves a lot of leeway: kids today grow up in an intensely fast-paced environment. In some cases, this is the only way they know how to cope.

    (BTW, I'm seeing the same white-on-white thing that Dave/Utenzi is reporting. Same solution on my end: Ctrl-A to highlight all.)

    By Blogger carmilevy, At 9:27 AM  

  • Hi on the blog presentation side its white on white with Firefox but all OK with IE.
    As to the rather more serious problem of children, well we've got three but all are in their late teens now so I'm struggling to remember. Have you actually sat down and talked the situation through with your child and got their angle on things? Anyhow good luck.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:29 PM  

  • So, apparently, our 9 months raising a defiant dog makes us TOTAL experts on raising kids. Before you completely discount my advice my brother had (and has) behavioural problems growing up -- shoot me an e-mail if you want to know more -- He could very well be acting up at school because he feels like he can get away with it, or it gets him 'something' there, as opposed to at home. If he acts up at home and you squash it and don't give him attention for negative behaviour, maybe he's trying to get attention at school in a way that he's know is effective, but won't fly at home.

    I agree that you should have a sit down with your son after the meeting to get his side. Maybe there's a bully in the class, or he's angry about some changes at home, or maybe he thinks the teacher 'hates him.'

    But, of course, we've only calmed a defiant dog ... totally the same as raising kids, right?

    By Blogger ~, At 3:27 PM  

  • Oh dear this sounds like a nightmare! I don't have kids so can't offer advice...but I do hope you manage to get this sorted out!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home