No, really, this IS my life....

Thursday, November 16, 2006

6 months to live...

...without your spouse/significant other. Can you handle it? I'm facing that question now. Well, potentially, at least.

Went to lunch today with hubby, and he gave me this pamphlet and said, "we should seriously think about this." It ended up being a pamphlet about the FAA's AF-CTI program. (Airway Facilities - Collegiate Training Initiative) Essentially, since the community college he attends is an FAA partner school, he can apply to be temporarily hired by the FAA and paid to attend their training school in Oklahoma City (OKC), then once finished there, he would be qualified to work for Sky Harbor Airport (here in Phoenix) as a federal employee. Good training and all that, but since the school in OKC is only (only!!) 6 months long, it would make zero sense to move myself and the kids out there. It would seriously disrupt Ian's schooling, and would be very expensive, to boot. Granted, we're still at the 'just thinking about it' stage, but I don't want to be apart from my husband for that long. Yes, we managed an 18 month long distance relationship when he was in the Marine Corps., but that was 5 years ago, and no kids. (Well, Ian was there, but he wasn't used to having a guy around full time, plus he was only one at the time) They are already miserable with him in school locally for 3 nights a week; I can't imagine how they would be going for weeks at a time without seeing him, and vice versa. He's pretty attached to them, (and me) too.
At the same time, this could be a really good (financial) opportunity for us, because let me tell you, we only have one income, and it's barely gonna top $40k this year, and that's difficult to manage at times. So, which way to I look to? Thee immediate, with the kids and the separation, or the long term, and their future and our retirement?

(FYI, hubby does have a good job, but he had to start out entry level, and his young age is keeping him out of management positions. Really, he was put up for a management position weeks ago, and the response from the biggies was that, "What? He's be the youngest floor manager in ********* history by at LEAST 10 years." They didn't say anything about his other qualifications.)

11 Comments:

  • hard to decide - that seems a long time there would need to be MANY trips home, or you dashing there to see him. the kids, i guess they will adapt, will pray for you to make a good choice.

    By Blogger David Edward, At 8:03 PM  

  • It is always tough to be split up like that. I spent 3 months away from home in Saudi Arabia when I was in the Air Force. Computers with web cams could make it where you could "see" each other every day

    Good Luck

    Here from Michele's

    By Blogger Mike, At 9:19 PM  

  • We do both have a web cam, and that would definitely help, but I'm still stuck on the kids. Once is 6, the other 3, and both are very attached to their dad. For me, I'd miss him desperately, but I'd live. Or function, at least.

    By Blogger Azgreeneyes, At 9:23 PM  

  • I'll try and write something sensible as I'm still in shock over the new layout!

    It's a very hard decision to make if it involves separation for 6 months, but with cheap air travel and lots of phone calls I'd bet that the time flys by and in the great scheme of things 6 months is nothing. Go for it!

    By Blogger Paste, At 1:24 AM  

  • I know, I'm still i nshock over the layout, as well. I don't think it will last too long, but since I did it myself, I have to at least leave it for a little while!

    By Blogger Azgreeneyes, At 8:05 AM  

  • It's a toughie, this one - my sympathies. I wish you the best of luck and hope that whatever you choose, everyone ends up well and happy. :)

    By Blogger rampant bicycle, At 1:26 PM  

  • (by the way, I love your snail! And hello from Michele's, which I forgot to say AGAIN. Where is my head today?)

    By Blogger rampant bicycle, At 1:27 PM  

  • You have to weigh up 6 months against a lifetime of good work opportunities.

    If he's young, as you say, then he should grab every chance.

    The children will adapt, and it will make their time together all the more special.

    well, you asked........

    cq
    Here via Michele

    By Blogger craziequeen, At 1:37 PM  

  • CQ, yes I asked and am so grateful to have any opinions at all! It helps, believe me!

    By Blogger Azgreeneyes, At 1:40 PM  

  • A tough decision, but sometimes there's a strong opportunity and it needs to be grabbed.

    Its impossible to answer this for someone else. Maybe you should write down the pluses and the minuses to help tip the balance. There'll be a point where you know in your heart what you want to do.

    And Hi, Michele sent me!

    rashbre

    By Blogger rashbre, At 2:37 PM  

  • The long-term payoff, in my view, justifies the short-term challenge. You've clearly outlined a scenario where his current job limits his growth potential because of a conservative and obviously ageist group of leaders. He needs a change: if this continues, he'll only resent not pursuing the opportunity.

    I speak as someone who's been there. Many times. It's absolutely worth rolling the dice. Six months isn't forever.

    By Blogger carmilevy, At 5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home