No, really, this IS my life....

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Tenants...

I spent almost my entire day cleaning up after a group of people who have zero respect for other people or their belongings, and I'm irritated by it. My aunt and my grandfather all have rental properties out here, and they live in the Midwest and the East Coast, respectively. Therefore, my parents and I help out with their properties. When the lease came up on my aunts house, the tenants decided not to renew, as the utilities were too expensive for them. Ok, I get that. We live in Arizona, and A/C, while necessary, is expensive. Well, theirs was expensive because they broke the back slider door, and instead of telling us, they just cranked the air down. Apparently, they didn't tell us because then we would have seen the interior of the house, and all hell would have broke loose. There were dog turds everywhere, so old that they were turning white, the carpet was completely saturated with urine, hopefully just from the dogs, windows were broken, the pool was black, and I mean BLACK, there was rotting food strewn from room to room, trash piled 3 feet high in places, a broken wheelchair (none of the tenants are disabled) holes in the wall from pool table balls, 14 different colors of paint on various walls, weeds 2 1/2 feet tall where there should have been rocks, ugh, I can continue if you'd like...

I spent the entire day hauling this trash to the dump. 2250 pounds of it, and there is still more to go. The sad part? These tenants are friends of my cousin. My aunt did them a favor by letting them rent, since as a group of college guys, they were short in the credit department. What a way to repay a favor. But then again, in all but one of the rental properties, this has been the case, some not as bad, one worse. Why on Earth is it ok to trash someone else's belonging this way? I don't get it...

9 Comments:

  • When I was first looking to move out of my parents home I looked at rental houses. I never did commit to one because my fear was always landing in a place that had been treated this badly and finding unknown surprises. How sad I am to know I wasn't just being paranoid. :(

    Michele sent me tonight.

    By Blogger Sandy, At 7:34 PM  

  • Not all renters are bad, but there seem to be a lot of them who don't care since it isn't their house, therefore, it isn't their responsibility. However, my mom taught me better than that!

    By Blogger Azgreeneyes, At 8:06 PM  

  • Oh, don't get me started on this one!! We used to own some rental property and rented to some guys just out of college. They trashed it badly and were always late on their rent, so we had to have them evicted. We found out they had been growing marijuana in the kitchen and putting out their cigarettes all over the floors, both carpeted and vinyl tile. They even burned the fiberglass bathtubs
    with cigs. What pigs they were. I can really sympathize with you!

    Michele sent me

    By Blogger kenju, At 8:58 PM  

  • I don't get it either.
    I'd be just as upset.
    I never understand why people have no pride in where they live (litter, grafitti) and no respect for others.

    Hello from Michele's.
    ~S

    By Blogger Shephard, At 7:23 PM  

  • I rented out a townhouse I couldn't sell for a few years and I'll never do that again. Being a landlord can be quite a thankless task, Karen.

    By Blogger utenzi, At 9:37 AM  

  • I don't get it. You know that saying, raised in a barn? Well most animals I have met who were actually raised in one, wouldn't be such pigs!!..How can more and more ppl live like slobs? Care so little not only for what's not theirs but for themselves to live that way?...Will never know I guess. I feel so bad that u had to clean all that up...I hope your family realize the extent of all that work done for them.
    Here from Michele's this evening.

    By Blogger Moon, At 8:42 PM  

  • All the work has been done very willingly; I am able, and my grandfather isn't, so that is more than enough reason for me! I can't believe, though, that people who lived like this would have people over to a house like that!! I freak out if there are dishes in the sink!

    By Blogger Azgreeneyes, At 9:17 PM  

  • I don't get it either.
    I am so sorry that you had to spend your day like that.

    By Blogger BlondeBrony, At 11:08 AM  

  • It saddens me when I read stories like this. It's like these people have no pride in themselves.

    Now I know why more condo boards are banning owners from renting out their places. The frequency of difficulties is significantly higher with renters than with owners.

    Which is unfortunate, because not all renters are, by definition, undesirable. But the relative few often ruin it for everyone else.

    You're a good egg for making everything right in the end. I wish the bozos who made the sickening mess had the wherewithal to read your words. Somehow, I doubt they ever will.

    By Blogger carmilevy, At 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home